Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fabulous Force and Motion

Well hello followers!  So this week is crazy wild, we have report cards, placement meetings, book studies and common assessment scores due before hitting the bricks for Spring Break.  In the event that you plan on coming back from Spring Break to conduct a short unit on force and motion; I have the unit for you!  I have been working with my students on recognizing the effects of force and motion on objects.  The culminating activity will be the creation of their own personal mouse trap.....you know the old game with the marble, tub, and plastic net that catches the mouse.  We began by going through the packet and performing a few experiments to help us understand the physics of force and motion.  I paired my students up and gave them baggies with the 4 items they used to complete the experiments.  I just kept the baggies on my file cabinet for the week- it was super nice to have put together.  After completing the packet my kiddos brought their household trash to school, examined what objects they have to work with, and designed their mouse trap using what they know about force and motion to create a fast moving mouse trap. I will have to post pics of the finished mouse traps on Friday for all to see.

      Packet                     Trap Trial Runs                       Trap Rules             Objects Description Page

16 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for forece and motion. Thanks a bunch! I love your blog design! I am a 3rd grade teacher and would love for ya'll (I'm from Texas) to come and visit my blog!
    Patti :)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cam across this idea on Pinterest and I LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this project and I LOVE it!!! But I can't seem to get it to download :( Is there a way that you can email it to me or send me a link to it in your TPT store? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I love it! I will use it! 4th grade rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I have never taught force and motion before (we are just starting common core this year) and this is PERFECT! Definitely following your blog!! YOU ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I love the cheery graphics and the simple, creative organization. I can't wait to use this with my 3/4 class. I know they'll LOVE the mouse trap challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your blog!! So cute. I think I will have to teach Force & Motion once Next Generation standards roll out. Thanks for the resource! :)

    Ashley
    Primary Teacherhood

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chicks! This looks amazing! But I also can't download it. Any chance you could send it my way or let me know where I can grab it from? Cheers

    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mouse trap idea! I think my kiddos will really enjoy it! Thanks a bunch for sharing!
    Wendy
    One Happy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Looking forward to our own lapbook.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello
    Love this idea. Do you happen to have any pictures of their finished projects? Thanks
    sherrie7@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I have been following you for a while, and am wondering.... Do you start these "weekly 5" units on day one or are they reinforcements on objectives you have taught? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dumb question maybe...what is the first object that starts with a P? can't read it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! I love this project!! Do you have any pictures of the finished traps? I would love to show some as examples, but haven't been able to find them. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing fantastic blog with us. I really enjoy your blog while reading. Keep posting like this blog.
    teacher professional development programs

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!

5-Star Blogger