Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Every year I teach life cycles. I always end up reading Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I love doing crafts with my kiddos but with this book I do the same thing every year. So, this year, I thought I would change it up. First, I took a picture of my students. Then, I printed off their picture and cut out their face. I had them create their own caterpillar. They colored it, cut it out, and glued it onto another piece of paper with their picture. Then, they drew the background and added detail.

My students also know that whenever we do a craft we write about it. After we did our craft I had students think about what they would eat as a caterpillar. We wrote our sentences together and worked on spacing and writing neatly. Then, they added a picture of what they ate onto their caterpillar picture. I think they turned out cute and it was a nice change from my normal Eric Carle craft!
 
This student wrote: On Saturday Isabelle ate 5 chocolate fudge granola bars. But she was still hungry.


What activities do you do to go along with The Very Hungry Caterpillar?
               
                                                  -Shelley

5 comments:

We LOVE comments!

5-Star Blogger