Monday, January 7, 2013

Snowball Fight!!!

This is the time of year that the kiddos don't get  outside and get the fresh air that they need. We had indoor recess last week because of snow and ice. I personally don't mind indoor recess because I am a big baby when it comes to cold weather! So, I figured, what better way to get your students up and moving than with an indoor snowball fight! You can do this with any subject.

To begin, give students a full or half sheet of paper. I handed each student a sight word to write on his or her paper and then checked to make sure the word was spelled correctly.



Once all students are finished, I call everyone to the carpet and have students form two lines on opposite sides of the carpet. Then, they face each other, crumble their paper into a ball and get ready to throw their snowballs.


I give students about 20 seconds to throw snowballs. Then, I have them freeze, pick up a snowball and  read their word.


We repeat this a few times so students practice reading many words. I also have my students walk around and read their words to each other.

This can also be done using math facts, numbers, letters, spelling words etc. My students love doing this! What activities do you do to get your kiddos up and moving?

Here is a freebie for you! I love to do roll a sight word games in centers. I make dice by using a square block and writing the words with a sharpie. Click on the pictures below to download a copy!




Check out the new Snowman Sight Word Game on my TPT!



Thanks for stopping by!

            -Shelley

7 comments:

  1. Will definately try the snowball fight this week. Looks like lots of rain heading in, so that will mean inside recess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will definately try the snowball fight this week. Looks like lots of rain heading in, so that will mean inside recess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! My students will be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a special place in the heart of the Teaching Blog Circle! I invite you to stop by and learn more... Your blog has inspired and helped me :)
    Tracey
    The Teacher's Chair

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea...this winter is too warm! Looking forward to a little snowball fight in class :)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!

5-Star Blogger