Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Do you like to read?

So we are doing a book study on our second grade team called "Teaching Reading in Small Groups" by Jennifer Serravallo.  Our grade level has been discussing all of the "old school" techniques we have implemented in our classrooms to differentiate instruction for our struggling, on level, and advanced readers.  Luckily, we already have so many resources, our group pooled together some items that I wanted to share.  First of all, we went back to give our kiddos a reading inventory to see where they were at this point in the year with reading.  Of course, you have to have the "be honest about your answers" talk......which lead to me telling the kids that when I was their age, I very much disliked reading.  I had all kinds of negative experiences in elementary school.  Thank goodness they know that I enjoy math and science better, otherwise that would be a difficult conversation to have with parents.  (I can totally see myself in that situation haha).  I gave 2 inventories, one was for my on level and advanced readers, and the other was sufficient for my struggling readers.  I really got a good look at their affect for reading time, what they wanted out of reading, and what types of text they would like to read.  I attached the reading inventories below! Feel free to download them for free and utilize them to help you get a better picture of your students as readers!




I hope this helps you find out what your readers want to go, and helps to drive your reading instruction!
-Gretchen

2 comments:

We LOVE comments!

5-Star Blogger