Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Standing Brooms! No joke!





So Shelley texted me tonight with a picture of her broom standing straight up and down.  So of course being the sciency person I am, I had to try it myself!  Yes, it worked!  Freaky!  So how is this possible? Ok, I looked it up. It is because we are close to the Spring Equinox. "At the equinoxes, the tilt of Earth relative to the Sun is zero, which means that Earth’s axis neither points toward nor away from the Sun." The gravity I guess is a little different because of our magnetic poles being straight up and down instead of tilted like it normally is. You can do this with an egg as well. Cool!  I am totally showing my students this tomorrow, even if I do sound like a goof on the video!
-Peace Out, Amy 
Pic from http://www.almanac.com/

4 comments:

  1. My science teacher introduced this to me in 5th grade. I haven't tried it since then....until I read your post! I immediately ran to my kitchen and now an egg is hanging out next to my laptop as I type this, standing upright. :) Thanks for the post! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I wrote a post about this on my blog. You might get a kick out of it! Also, I awarded you a Top 10 award. If you don't have one already, come to my blog and grab it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I read your blog and posted a comment. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love this! Seriously never knew about this. Thanks for sharing.
    Adrianne
    Kidscogworks.com

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!

5-Star Blogger